18 July 2006

Oops of the Day...

Boy do I feel embarrassed!
I have four computers in my office that run all the time, & even with the AC running, it gets a bit warm sometimes. So I tried to order a desk fan, thinking that I could use it to blow some more air over my machines.
But since we have air conditioning, the state won't purchase an extra fan... Go figure!

I did the next best thing, & ordered some cooling fans for the computers themselves, including a low profile heat sink fan for my Dell Optiplex. It was slow enough today that I decided to go ahead & get it installed.
Unbeknownst to me, however, Dell uses a superstrong thermal compound on their CPU with the OEM heat sink.
When I removed the heat sink, it pulled the CPU right out of the Ziff socket, bending quite a few of the 478 pins!

Now I've been forced to call campus Tech Support & tell them the whole story, much to my own chagrin. Admittedly, it helps that I used to work in that office, but the tech on the phone, who doesn't know me, said, "Wait, you took your processor out?!"

Even though Dell used a superglue based compound, I'll take all the heat (get it? take the heat). And I won't be able to show my face over in that part of campus for quite some time I'm sure.

It's nice that my boss is off this week, so he's not here to be (rightfully) pissed off at me over it.
And I'm sure that I'll be without my workhorse for the rest of the week, so I'll just hook my trusty tablet to the big monitor!

No comments: